The Step Up Equality (SUE) Project is a three-year project funded by the European Commission, starting in January 2019 running until December 2021.
The main objective of this proposal is to promote women leadership and thus speed up progress towards gender equality within European sport. This involves challenging structural barriers and cultural norms within sport as well as gender-based discrimination and places a large focus on cooperation and the exchange of best practices and expertise between different sports and countries. Ultimately, the basic aim of the project is to push for much-needed towards an equal and more inclusive sport.
- Developing Fair and Diverse Structures in Football- DISCOVER FOOTBALL sport event
- GEA organised sport activities to raise awareness of the importance of women’s participation in sport
- Women are motivated for leadership and it is the structures of sport that are a problem, says a new report from SUE
- The refs whistle has just blown… But AKS activists have work to do!
- Amsterdam meeting moves Step Up Equality (SUE) project forward
This collection of examples are offered as potential inspiration for those wishing to promote and facilitate women’s leadership in sport. This handbook is intended to be of value for those working in grassroots sport with an interest in the more strategic and change process aspects of gender equality work.
Translations “A handbook of best practice”
The Erasmus+ project Step Up Equality is requesting information to assess and evaluate the needs for training and stakeholder engagement to promote women’s leadership in sports in Europe.
THE PROJECT WILL TARGET 5 SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES:
1. Strengthen the specific skills of women currently active within grassroots sport organisations to navigate and challenge existing norms and structures and increase their influence and presence as trainers, coaches and managers and their visibility and appropriate coverage in media
2. Increase awareness and mainstreaming of gender equality in sport, spreading examples of female leadership in sport and reducing gender stereotypes and other barriers that exclude women from leadership roles, producing impact and change from the grassroots level
3. Promote public sport initiatives and events to increase opportunities for engagement in sport activities of women from disadvantaged groups, promoting an exchange of skills, experiences and inspiration between women in sport
4. Prepare, test and promote a European system to report gender discrimination in grassroots sport
5. Increase networking and cooperation between women in coaching and leadership positions from mainstream sports (e.g. football and volleyball) and emerging sports (e.g. roller derby) in Europe.
PARTNERS + WHO FUNDS US?
The Step Up Equality project is co-ordinated by Girls in Sport and brings together the following seven partners from six countries:
- Gea Coop Sociale, Italy https://www.geacoop.org/en/home-en/ (Lead)
- Girls in Sport, Sweden https://www.girlsinsport.se/ (until june 2020)
- Women Win, the Netherlands https://www.womenwin.org/
- Associazione Nazionale Atlete (Assist), Italy https://www.assistitaly.it/
- Stowarzyszenie na Rzecz Demokracji W Sporcie – Association Democracy in Sport, Poland
- Discover Football, Germany http://www.discoverfootball.de
- Fare Network https://farenet.org/
The project is an Erasmus+ project funded by the European Commission.